Entry Requirement

Before you travel to the UK, you must have a valid passport (or a valid national identity card if you are an EEA national). In some countries, it may take several months to obtain a passport, so don't leave this to the last minute. You may also need to arrange 'entry clearance' - permission to enter the UK - in advance.

There are two different types of entry clearance:



Entry Certificates

If you are not from the European Economic Area (EEA), you'll need to check that you fulfil the following requirements in order to enter the UK as a student:

  • You must have been accepted by a university/college, private institution or independent school

  • Your course must be full-time one at a single institution, with a minimum of 15 hours of organised, daytime study per week

  • A letter from your new school, college or university, on their official headed paper, to state that you have paid your deposit and/or tuition fees

  • You will need to show that you can pay for your course, living expenses and support your family if they are with you, without working in the UK or claiming welfare benefits.By way of evidence, the immigration officials prefer a bank draft as this is the most difficult to forge and can be checked with the issuing bank.

  • You will have to show that you will not have recourse to public funds. The longer your proposed stay, the more convincing your financial credentials will need to be.

  • Unless your course lasts more than six months, you must not plan to work in the UK, other than do part-time and holiday work

  • When your course ends, you and your family must plan to leave the UK.